ICE
July 11, 2019

Immigration Raids Back On For This Weekend

 |  By: Mike Opperman

A nationwide immigration enforcement operation targeting people who are in the United States illegally is expected to begin this weekend after it was postponed last month by President Donald Trump. That’s according to two administration officials and immigrant activists.

The raids will target people with final orders of removal, including families whose cases had been fast-traced by judges. It’s expected in 10 major cities, according to an Associated Press article. 

Initially set for late June, Trump postponed the raids as Congress worked to pass a $4.6 billion border deal. 
The raids will be conducted by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officials over multiple days and will include “collateral” deportations, as reported by the New York Times. In those instances authorities might detain immigrants who happened to be on the scene, even though they were not targets of the raids. 

When possible, family members who are arrested together will be held in family detention centers in Texas and Pennsylvania. But because of space limitations, some might end up staying in hotel rooms until their travel documents can be prepared. ICE’s goal is to deport the families as quickly as possible.

The officials said ICE agents were targeting at least 2,000 immigrants who have been ordered deported — some as a result of their failure to appear in court — but who remain in the country illegally. The New York Times article states that the operation is expected to take place in at least 10 major cities.

The families being targeted crossed the border recently: The Trump administration expedited their immigration proceedings last fall. In February, many of those immigrants were given notice to report to an ICE office and leave the United States, the homeland security officials said.

 

This block is broken or missing. You may be missing content or you might need to enable the original module.