MPP: What You Need To Know
Recently, there have been several changes made to the Margin Protection Program (MPP) by USDA. Producers can enroll in the program from September 1 through December 15.
Here are the revisions you need to be aware of:
- If you’re currently enrolled in the program, you don’t need to sign up again. USDA announced this change as an effort to make using the program more convenient.
- It’s now free to opt out of the program. USDA will no longer charge farmers a fee. If you opt out it will only be in effect for that year.
- If you opt out of MPP for 2018, you will be eligible to enroll in LGM-dairy for 2018.
- If you elect to purchase higher coverage ou can either pay the premium at the time of enrollment or any time before September 1, 2018.
- Unlike previous years, if you do not enroll by the deadline of December 15, 2017, you will not be eligible for 2018 payments.